Welcome! So glad you're here! Don't forget to subscribe so you don't miss anything and read up on my Beginner's Guides HERE!

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Creating a Weekly Menu

I've received several questions from readers about my Weekly Menu plans, so I thought I would answer them all at once on the week that I don't have a plan. This week has been a whirlwind with events, appointments, my dad's surgery, and a heavy workload. On weeks like this, I use up meals from my freezer and the overstock from my pantry -- we just kind of go-with-the-flow.

I *usually* have a weekly meal plan: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, 2 Snacks, and a healthy Dessert option, since we all have sweet teeth! ;) I am a firm believer that you spend less, eat healthier, and maintain a sense of organization when you plan ahead. That being said, here are some questions I've had from readers...

"How do you decide what to fix?"

I am fortunate enough to have a husband and daughter who have great taste buds and healthy appetites! I plan our meals and snacks around what is appropriate, healthy, and nutritious for a thriving toddler. I don't "dummy" our meals for her - she eats what we eat and, as a result, she LOVES roasted veggies, Portobella mushrooms, asparagus spears, and cabbage wraps. I realize it may not be 'typical' for most children her age, but it's what will keep her healthy and help her thrive. I try new things out -- some times it's a 'hit', other times a 'miss' -- but I keep a running recipe catalog of our favorite meals and plan around that. I also try hard to overlap food items, for instance: Making one big batch of roasted veggies on Monday night and using the leftovers through the week in fajitas, soups, frittatas, or grilled sandwiches.

"Do you have favorite recipe sites?"

Yes! And I'd be lost without them. ;) A few of my favorites are:
"How much do you spend a week?"

It varies -- some weeks I will spend $20 and other weeks I'll spend closer to $60. Since the bulk of my grocery store runs are produce, I scan the grocery ads for what produce is on sale and that's (usually) what we eat. I will spend a little bit more on organic produce, just because it is important to us and something we personally believe in.

We are *mainly* vegetarians for various reasons. I throw in a couple "meat" meals a week (fish, chicken, lean meats) but, truthfully, my daughter and I just end up eating the veggies and grains. Cutting back on our meat has dramatically helped our food budget and our health! When I spot a good deal on fish or ground turkey, I will buy a few extras to freeze for another meal.

Which brings me to the last question asked by a reader...

"How did you get your family to go meat-less?"

Well, we're not entirely meatless although the more vegetarian meals we eat, the more my husband will say he's OK without meat. We definitely stay away from red meat though. My daughter and I stay away from meat for health reasons, although I was raised on meat and potatoes. She doesn't really know anything different because we've always eaten this way. To satisfy my husband's protein fix, I fix him some hearty Stuffed Mushrooms or Vegetable Curry w/ Quinoa. I would suggest easing your family into it by replacing a few meals per week with filling vegetarian choices. Have the kids help you by picking out and washing the veggies and keep meals recognizable by making things like Vegetable Pizza, Garden Omelets, or Veggie Kabobs. I strongly believe that if you are purchasing the food, making the food, and serving the food then you have the 'power' to influence their taste buds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment