Welcome! So glad you're here! Don't forget to subscribe so you don't miss anything and read up on my Beginner's Guides HERE!

Friday, June 19, 2009

Target Coupon Policy

I've talked with several readers this past week about the inconsistencies in Target's coupon policies. Mainly fueled by our own negative and disappointing experiences with redeeming coupons at different Target and Super Target locations.

I was so pumped last Sunday to get a whole load of good deals at Super Target, but my high was quickly deflated during checkout. As my cashier was scanning my coupons, she just started handing some back to me saying something like, "Oh, you bought four of those. I can't take these."

Yes. Yes, I bought four and I have four coupons.
(These happened to all be manufacturer Qs.)

Then, she started giving me back the Target printables, specifically the $2/2 Morningstar Q. I purchased 2 boxes of veggie nuggets and 2 boxes of veggie burgers. I had 4 man. Qs and only 1 $2/2 Target Q (since it states only one per transaction), BUT she would only allow 3 man. Qs and NO Target Qs. She randomly continued to refused miscellaneous coupons (Target and man.).

I tried my best to argue with her that the Target policy clearly states that you can use one Target coupon with a manufacturer coupon, but she wasn't budging. In fact, she made a snide comment to another cashier in the next lane that she hated coupons(thank-you-very-much-it's-not-like-I-can't-hear-you). Excuuuuuuse me.

I wasn't in any mood to be on the 6 o'clock news for lashing out at a Target worker, so I moved over to customer service...Waited about 15 minutes before I decided my frozen goods were going to melt.

I emailed Target corporate and got this coupon policy back. It didn't answer my question about why she would limit my coupons to 3.... I didn't see that anywhere. So, I called.

Basically, I was told that it can and does vary by store and manager. They can set their own limits but, overall, they should be accepting a Target coupon WITH a manufacturer coupon. I know, that's super helpful to us shoppers but there it is. Clear as mud.

I recommend printing off and keeping Target's coupon policy with you the next time you go into the store. This way the next time your Target coupons are refused you can give them a refresher on their own policy. ;)

8 comments:

  1. Isn't that frustrating? I've given up on Target...it's not worth my time or frustration level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...both the SuperTargets in my area are very negative toward coupon usage and fight me every time I have tried to purchase something with coupons. After the last experience where the cashier was nice as could be until he realized I was going to walk out playing $2 for 10 items and then his mood turned ugly and sour, I am pretty much done for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time I went to Target I had a similar experience. It didn't seem like she scanned all the coupons and they came out kind of randomly on the receipt, so it was hard to tell what was what. I realized they charged me full price for an item that was on sale, so I went to Customer Service. When she scanned the receipt and tried to adjust it, it showed that the coupons were more than the price of the product (not true), so she couldn't do it. She had to call two different people over and they still couldn't figure it out. They finally ended up doing a voucher for a missed coupon to give me the difference back. I still don't think all of my coupons got entered. I sat in the parking lot for about 15 minutes trying to figure it out before I finally gave up and figured it wasn't worth it. I don't have a Target real close to me, so unless there are lots of awesome buys with coupons, I have decided it's too much trouble. I also couldn't get the right Target coupons to print at the store, so I print them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This same thing happened to me last week at Super Target. But the cashier didn't hand the coupon back...she just DIDN'T SCAN IT and put it in the pile to discard!!! I called her on it twice and she said, "Oh, you already used a coupon for that..." I'm still suspicious that she threw away unused and uncredited coupons.

    What is going on with them? Good idea to print out their policy. What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also had problems and have seen remarks on several blogs. I had stopped shopping at Target due to poor customer service. Started again when a nicer store opened up nearby and I started using Internet printables (about 4 months ago). I could give lots of examples, but my sales floor experience has been excellent, then I have had problems at checkout as others have mentioned. On the other hand, some of the checkers have been really nice!!! I absolutely despise it when any store leaves coupon policies up to a manager making it harder for us couponers to follow their rules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be very Target-loyal. But their customer service has gone down the toilet in past years. And I will say on the Target coupons, it's definitely all about the cashier. Once I went in and bought a lot of items, but only had a coupon for one thing, and it was a store coupon. I asked the cashier if I could use two since I got two of the item, and she said 'sure.' Now, I'm sure it would have been a completely different story had I had my normal stack of coupons! But I digress.

    My actual biggest problem with them was for my baby shower. I was registered only with them, and two days before my shower, their registry system was taken down for maintenance, and wasn't available until the day after my shower occurred. Not only was there no warning for this, but there were no allowances made for people like myself who received tons of gifts that were not on their registry (because nobody could view it), but had no receipts. Well, except their stinking "you can return two items per year with your drivers license" policy.

    Not a big help for me and my 14 hooded towels. :/

    Ok, done with my soapbox for today. Anyone else wanna use it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps: this was my first post, but I LOVE your blog. I read it almost every day. Thanks for all your work!

    -- Les

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky for us our Target store in this area is very good. The cashiers seem to be pretty excited to see me because they want to repeat what I have done.

    Now, one of Walgreens cashiers...I better be nice but she could not only use another attitude but she needs to get over the "oh the register has limits" or "you can't use a coupon for that item". I really have to watch her because I have caught her ringing up a product twice, on purpose (can't prove it but boy does it happen 2 out of the 3 times)! If I can; I drive the 20 miles go to the two other stores in our area to avoid this cashier. Isn't that sad.

    Why do these cashiers care??? I can't figure it out. They get paid by the hour so what the heck does it matter if they are standing around bored to death, dusting shelves, or entering coupons in a transaction? Someone please tell me why? :-)

    ReplyDelete