Welcome! So glad you're here! Don't forget to subscribe so you don't miss anything and read up on my Beginner's Guides HERE!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

{Recipe} Quesadilla Pie

Quesadilla Pie
I stumbled upon this recipe on Simply Recipes after seeing a couple packages of tortillas in my freezer.  Needing a break from the usual quesadilla, fajitas, enchiladas, etc. I was excited to try this recipe for Quesadilla Pie Recipe.  I know this goes against all rules, but I tried this recipe the night we were having friends over for dinner.  

This Quesadilla Pie was very easy to put together and you can "stuff" it with just about anything.  Since we were already doing a Mexican-themed dinner, I added ground turkey (w/ taco seasoning), black beans, tomatoes, green onions, cheese (LOTS of it!) and served w/ salsa and sour cream.  The second time I made this, I added salsa, sour cream and avocado IN the layers and it made it so moist and DE-LISH!!!

Got a lot of MMmmmmmm's from my household.

I would highly recommend using a thinner tortilla -- I like Lala's by Arizona brand.  You can use the whole wheat variety, too.

Now, here's the recipe:


Quesadilla Pie

Brush butter on the bottom of the pan to keep the tortillas from sticking, and to the top of the last tortilla for flavor and to help it brown. Hint: do not skip the butter.

Ingredients

Basic ingredients:
  • 4 large flour tortillas (9-10 inches diameter)
  • Butter
  • 1/2 pound grated cheese, either mild or sharp cheddar, or Monterey Jack
Potential filling ingredients (use whatever you have on hand):
  • Beans, cooked (black beans, pinto beans)
  • Tomatoes, chopped
  • Summer squash, chopped
  • Onions (green onions, red onions, onion greens)
  • Mushrooms (if using a lot, sauté first, to remove moisture)
  • Cooked shredded chicken, pork, or beef
  • Chiles, either from cooked green chiles, chopped pickled jalapenos, or salsa
  • Cumin and/or chili powder for extra heat
Garnishes:
  • Chopped avocado
  • Chopped cilantro
  • Thinly sliced iceberg lettuce dressed with vinegar and salt
  • Sour cream
  • Salsa

Method

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter the bottoms and sides of a pie dish, approximately the same size as your tortillas (I used a 10-inch pyrex pie dish for 10-inch wide tortillas).
2 Place one tortilla on the bottom of the pie dish. Sprinkle some shredded cheese over the tortilla. At this point, you will begin to add your chosen filling ingredients, and layering the tortillas. Just make sure each layer has a generous sprinkling of cheese. In the pictured example, I used cheese, black beans, and onion greens on the first layer. Then I added another tortilla on top of that and put chopped zucchini, chopped tomato, chopped pickled jalapenos, and more shredded cheese. I also sprinkled a little cumin and chili powder on this layer. I added another tortilla and put more shredded cheese, more black beans, tomatoes and onions. Top off your layers with one last flour tortilla. Spread a little butter over the surface of this tortilla.
3 Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Put in oven for 30 minutes on 350°F. Then remove the foil and increase the heat to 400°F. Cook for another 15-20 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into quarters.
Serve with chopped avocados, shredded lettuce, cilantro, salsa, and/or sour cream.


NOTE:  I did NOT use a Pyrex pie plate for mine since I don't own one.  Instead I used a HUGE skillet that is oven safe.

Enjoy! :)


5 comments:

  1. How funny! I just put Quesadilla Pie on my meal plan for this week. The recipe I had looks different...I might compare it to yours before deciding how to create it. Looks awesome!

    And you seriously don't have a pie plate? I use mine a ton. I make a lot of crust-less quiches...at least a couple a month. And pot pies and shepherd's pies. And apple pies... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny -- I'll how to see how yours worked out (probably healthier than this one, eh?). :)

    I know, can you believe I don't have a pie plate. What a loser. I'm totally going to go buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! What a good way to use up leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for linking this recipe on our food linky! It is in my oven as we speak and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I did one with beef and one with chicken. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kerri! How do it go over at dinner time? I've made it lots of different ways and I think I love it with salsa and sour cream INSIDE the best!

    ReplyDelete