Welcome! So glad you're here! Don't forget to subscribe so you don't miss anything and read up on my Beginner's Guides HERE!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

{recipe of the week} Kale Chips

Kale is one of the most nutritious greens and the fact that I could buy it ORGANIC this week tickles me to pieces!!  I was so happy to bring home my organic produce this week and, as I playfully danced my Kale bunch around the kitchen, my husband simply said, "I think we get excited about different things."  He's so adorable.

So, what is kale?  It's that stuff they throw on your plate at restaurants.  And, it is probably the healthiest thing on your plate.

No really....kale is actually a form of cabbage and has HUGE nutritional value"

"Kale is considered to be a highly nutritious vegetable with powerful antioxidant properties; kale is considered to be anti-inflammatory.[2]

Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, and reasonably rich in calcium.

Kale, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane (particularly when chopped or minced), a chemical believed to have potent anti-cancer properties.[3]

There you have it.  Now you know why I'm in love.   And, as much as I love it, my favorite way to enjoy Kale is all-dolled up....  Kale "Chips"  has become a favorite snack in our household - my little one even asks for it!

Wanna make it? (It's so easy!)

Kale Chips
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 TB minced garlic (I probably use closer to 2 TB.)
  • Sprinkle of pepper
  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. Wash and dry the kale thoroughly.
  3. Remove the leaves from the thick kale stems (you can use scissors) and tear the kale into bite size pieces. 
  4. Place kale on a large cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and toss lightly.
  5. Drop minced garlic over the top of the kale, stirring some garlic in between the kale. 
  6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  7. Bake for about 15 minutes until the edges are brown and crispy (not burnt).  You can also use a low-broiler.
That's it.  Told you it was easy...and delicious!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. MMMMmmmmm...kale chips! We have the green and purple in our house but I skip the garlic and pepper. It's true, my kids ask for kale chips too!
    We have daily smoothies around "after school time" and I always throw kale in them. Sounds ick but tastes great with all the fruits, almond milk and flax seed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love kale over here too. Try out this great "green smoothie" recipe. http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/robyn-recommendations/blenders/blender-smoothie-recipe/ My kids love it and it's so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, ladies! I can't believe I didn't think of that: kale in smoothies... Brilliant! Can't wait to try it... Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer - I just pureed all of my kale from the co-op yesterday to throw in smoothies and sauces. (it didn't chop up enough in my first smoothie, so I thought I'd help it out.) I'm totally trying the recipe above. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachael- I'm sure you already assumed this but just in case, don't use the stems in the smoothies! :)

    ReplyDelete