Welcome! So glad you're here! Don't forget to subscribe so you don't miss anything and read up on my Beginner's Guides HERE!

Friday, August 27, 2010

{recipe of the week} Quinoa Waldorf Salad

Bob's Red Mill Organic Grain Quinoa, 26-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)I've been on a quinoa kick since I posted last week's recipe for Vegetable, Walnut and Roasted Garlic Quinoa so I thought it would be fun to post another yummy quinoa recipe!

I am IN. LOVE with quinoa.  It's healthy; it's delicious; it can be made many, many ways -- and it's easy!  Way too easy for how healthy it is!  And, by the way, you can pick up a HUGE bag of Organic Quinoa (7lbs., I think) at Costco for around $8.50.

On to the recipe...
** This makes a great lunchbox addition! You can also add some diced/shredded chicken to it.

Quinoa Waldorf Salad
(sorry no picture this week)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup apple juice
  • ½ tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed and drained
  • 2 large red or green apples, diced
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • ½ cup dried cranberries
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt (I like plain, non fat Greek yogurt best)
  1. Place water, apple juice, cinnamon and rinsed quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes. Cool, transfer quinoa to a large mixing bowl and refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.
  2. Add apples, celery, dried cranberries and walnuts to quinoa. Mix well. Fold in yogurt. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy, I'll definitely be trying this when we get home!!! Thanks for the cooking inspiration, unfortunately the hubby now thinks I should cook more!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Becca! That's too funny! You must be good, otherwise he'd just offer to cook every night. I can't wait to try your Quinoa breakfast recipe!

    ReplyDelete