Welcome! So glad you're here! Don't forget to subscribe so you don't miss anything and read up on my Beginner's Guides HERE!

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Cinnamon Squash Muffins

{image credit: $5dinners}

I just have to highlight Erin's recipe for Cinnamon Butternut Squash Muffins since squash is plentiful right now and these little guys are so tasty & healthy.

I made my first few batches before my in-laws came in and had plenty for some friends and family to taste -- all rave reviews. I made a few substitutions (see below) but they made a TON so I was able to freeze these tasty treats!!

HUGE Thanks to Erin at $5 Dinners who is amazing at whipping up delicious meals on a budget!! If you haven't already subscribed to her site, do so HERE!

Cinnamon Butternut Squash Muffins
(From $5Dinners.com)

Ingredients
1 banana, mashed
1 cup cooked butternut squash
4 eggs (I used 2 eggs and 2T. flax seed w/water)
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup white sugar (I used part stevia and part agave nectar)
6 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil (I used more applesauce instead of the oil)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour (I used another cup of wheat flour - made them more dense but still good)

Optional Topping:
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions
1. In stand mixer or mixing bowl, mix banana, butternut squash, eggs, applesauce, sugar, and oil, until well blended.
2. In separate mixing bowl, combine salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, wheat flour and white flour.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until batter forms.
4. Pour into greased baking cups or muffin tins, and sprinkle with brown sugar-cinnamon topping. Makes 24 regular size muffins, 48 mini muffins, or 12 regular muffins and 24 mini muffins (what I did!).
5. Bake at 350. Regular size muffins for 16-18 minutes. Mini muffins for 13-15 minutes.


Mmmm mmmm, good! Thanks again, Erin, for this winner!

1 comment:

  1. Those sound super yummy! I'll have to make some next week after the banana bread muffins that I made yesterday are gone! :)

    You always have great recipes on your site!

    ReplyDelete