Welcome! So glad you're here! Don't forget to subscribe so you don't miss anything and read up on my Beginner's Guides HERE!

Friday, April 23, 2010

Homemade Produce Wash


Commercial produce washes seem so pricey considering how quickly we go through them around here.  I've been making my own produce wash for several years now, testing out different "recipes."  I finally found my winning recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 20 drops grapefruit seed extract (This stuff will last forever and is great to take when you start getting sick.  It's "like a natural antibiotic.")
Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients together in a deep pitcher; it will bubble and fizz.
  2. Pour into a spray bottle.
  3. Spray on fruits and or vegetables and allow to sit for 5 or 10 minutes before rinsing.

    6 comments:

    1. Great recipe... How long will this produce wash last, should it be kept in the fridge? thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Erin -- I don't keep mine in the fridge...it will last forever, so no need to worry about spoilage. Also, I add some coconut oil to mine if I have it on hand since it seems to really help clean the veggies!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Awesome! Thank you so much for posting this! I grew up with a garden and this year I decided to become a farmer. =)

      We thinned out our spinach a few weeks ago and we both got sick. Since then we decided we need to have some kind of spray, besides just washing them with water, and have been looking for recipes since. This seems like a great one to try!

      Thank you so much!
      Amber =)
      www.MommiesWithCents.com

      ReplyDelete
    4. Whewre can you find grapefruit extract? Rita

      ReplyDelete
    5. I buy my grapefruit seed extract online, but you can pick it up at Sprouts or Whole foods too. They have it in a pill form (that's awesome to take if you feel like you're getting sick), but to use it in this recipe buy the liquid form. It's a thick, sticky substance...

      ReplyDelete
    6. Ooh, I should point out that the grapefruit extract will seem pricey (around $12-$16 for a little bottle) BUT, it will last you a really long time AND if you are ever feeling sick-ish you can mix 5-6 drops with some OJ and it acts like a natural antibiotic. No joking, it cleared up an abscess tooth I once had. This stuff is amazing!!

      ReplyDelete